Selecting an Assisted Living Facility
Many adult children become responsible for caring for their aged parents while also raising their own children, or grandchildren. We recognize that it can be very stressful for caregivers as they struggle to balance their own lives while caring for their aging parents. When someone you love and care for is in need of assisted living services, the choice can be a difficult one. We sincerely hope the following suggestions will be of assistance in helping you navigate assisted living options available to you and your loved ones:
- Talk with your parent about their preferences regarding assisted living options and the lifestyle they would most enjoy.
- Tour assisted living communities and speak to a staff member to fully understand all options, amenities and programs available.
- Discuss possible needs to come that may affect their choices, on-site health care professionals, medication services, etc.
- Compare communities to ensure it makes financial sense.
Web Resources for Caregivers
From support for caregivers to government benefits, the links below offer a wide variety of resources to explore:
- Caring for an Aging Loved One: https://eldercare.acl.gov/Public/Resources/Topic/Caregiver.aspx
- Checklists and Forms: http://www.caregiverslibrary.org/Default.aspx?tabid=70
- Financial Assistance & Funding Options for Assisted Living: https://www.payingforseniorcare.com/longtermcare/paying-for-assisted-living.html
- Medicare coverage: https://www.retireguide.com/medicare/